Sunday, July 11, 2010

Life Part 2

So I moved to LA.

I got here on June 30th. It wasn't exactly the easiest day. I was a mess leaving home. I'd gotten upset the day before with the stress of packing and seeing my room so desolate. Seeing a place that you've lived in your entire life just be emptied out is not easy. It did need to be cleaned out. I had so much shit in my room that had accumulated over the years, so that wasn't so much of the problem (yes I got sentimental about some stuff, but nothing too bad). It was the bareness of the place that got to me. But that wasn't anything compared to the hot mess I was right before leaving for the airport.

The rest of the day was pretty good, despite some minor tears on the plane (but at least they were playing a sappy chick flick so it looked like I was crying over the movie, and not that I was just a crazy person). Got my new car (whose name is The Magical Leopluradon), bought a mattress, and spent the night on my brothers couch.

The next day I got into my apartment and kinda started shopping for things. The next day my roommate got here and we spent the next few days getting stuff for the apartment and building ikea furniture. Screwing things together by hand is not fun, and I found that I have a special talent for stripping screws. It was also really fun when at the last step of building my dresser, I found out that I put the first piece on backwards and had to take everything apart and start over again. Yeah. Super fun.

The 4th was pretty good. Went over to Jeff's place (one of the roommates from last summer) and had a bbq with a bunch of people I didn't know. Then at night we went to this apartment that had a hot tub on the roof, and we watched fireworks from there.

That Monday I went to the beach, but it was cold and I was just feeling kinda out of it.

Tuesday I discovered that my car battery died. I am 99.9% sure I didn't leave any lights on (when I got into the car my lights were in the "off" position") but then again who knows. So I had to get my car jumped... which was just lovely. But I did find a super nice night stand at goodwill, so the day wasn't too horrible.

Wednesday I went to central casting to update, back to Ikea for a couch (it feels so much more like I live here now that there is a couch) and went to Sande Alessi to update. So it was a pretty good day... until my brand new car got hit in a parking lot. Drivers side mirror knocked off, drivers side door scratched. Awesome. Had a complete emotional breakdown. Also awesome.

The next morning, after being woken up far too early to deal with the insurance company and having (yet another) emotional breakdown about the situation, I took the car (mirror being held on by duct tape) by the Honda body shop so that they could order the parts. I'm taking it in tomorrow so it can be fixed.

Friday I got a job as an extra on Californication. I was booked as a "rocker looking" high school student. Basically the scene we were used for was us chilling outside of Venice Highschool, while David Duchovny hugs his daughter. Took like... 20 min tops for them to film. But we were called in at 1:30, and didn't end up filming until around 6:20. Also it was kinda freezing out. But it wasn't the worst shoot I've been on.

I did kinda decide that I do need to get a legit job though. There is no way I'm going to be able to support myself making $64 a day. Yes, some days pay more... but not always, and you don't know if you are going to be able to work every day. So I have become the ultimate cliche and have started looking on craigslist for waitressing jobs.

Saturday Alex (my roommate) and I stopped by a few thrift stores, but no luck. Then we walked around the grove a bit and cleaned up the apartment a little. I found out I had an audition for this youtube twilight spoof thing (got it through LAcasting, which is an online casting network) so we went to go see Eclipse. We went to The Archlight, which was expensive, and the movie was awful... but that was to be expected. Before the movie we stopped in at Amoeba cause we had time to kill and saw Ryan Gosling.

Today I had the audition for the twilight spoof. Hard to gage how it went, but whatever. After I went to Blicks cause I am tired of the white walls in my apartment. It's really bare and doesn't feel like home. So I am going to make something to put on the walls so that it doesn't feel so cold. I don't like the way the apartment feels right now. It's so empty and just doesn't feel like home, and that's bothering me. It's just not comfortable yet. I also have to get use to living with my roommate. I am a very clean person and really like to have my shared living space (ESPECIALLY the kitchen) clean. He's...... not as clean as me. I don't expect him to be as obsessive about it as I am, and I'm trying to not let a few dishes in the sink or cans all over the place get to me (and I've been pretty good about it), but at the same time I don't want food splatter all over the counters, cause that is just not sanitary. Anyhoo, it's just going to be an adjustment. I guess living with someone new always is (although Meggie and I seemed to pull it off very well).

I wasn't able to get work for tomorrow. So tomorrow (after I take my car in to get fixed and get the rental) I might run over to target to get a few things (bookcase, more hangers, desk chair, etc) and I'll try to get more work, figure out ordering headshots so I can send them out to different agencies, and I want to start working on my art projects. Hopefully it will be a good and busy day.

No comments: