Monday, June 29, 2009

Save the Music

So I DID end up going to the Save the Music event on Saturday night.

It was a Matt Nathanson concert at a lounge in Westwood.

I spent a good part of last week getting contact ionformation for a bunch of celebs the people running the event were interested in and sending out invites. There was a BUNCH of people on the list, but not all realistic (they had me send out an invite to Leo Dicaprio). Only about 7 said they would come (all pretty much C and D listers... most famous was Stanford from Sex and the City and Rene from True Blood).

Veronica and I got to the event (we went to the wrong place first... THAT was embaressing). Our job was to check talent in and bring them to the "red carpet" (which was really just a very small carpet with a banner thing in back for photos... the only photogs that were there were the ones hired for the event). Only 1 person frome the list ended up showing up. Katie Chonacas, who had a role in "It's Always Sunny in Phili" and was in the straight to DVD movie "Legacey" with Hillary Duff's sister. This would have been much cooler for me had I actually SEEN Legacey. (Fuck you random ass sorority girls who checked it out from the Iowa City Blockbuster and never returned it! Fuck. You.)

Anyhoo, she seemed pretty nice... kinda acted like she was a bigger deal then she was. Like the entrence to the event was roped off and she didn't want to walk the 5 feet around to get in. Yeah the guard guy at the event should have stepped aside to let her in, but he was kinda clueless and jsut stood there, despite us telling him top let her in. So instead of walking the 5 feet around, she kinda pushed passed him. Whatever. Other than that she seemed nice enough.

Also while taking photos on the red carpet she was REALLY wokring it, which is fine. I get that she wants to get a good picture and blah blah blah. But really? It was a SUPER casula event (Veronica and I were way overdressed as no one bothered to inform us of this), and she was "working it" a BIT much. Veronica and I just kinda stood there laughing quietly to ourselves a bit (we later made fun of her and took some pictures on the red carpet ourselves and tried to "work it). We also talked to the girl she was with. She seemed nice. She was wearing these CRAZY ass high shoes (at the VERY least a 6 inch heal... maybe even 7) and she was tryign to tell us that the shoes were "like slippers". Yeah, sure hun. You were dieing inside DON'T even lie. I don't care if it is the BEST constructed shoe in the world. A 6 inch heel is a 6 inch heel and that is in NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM even CLOSE to a slipper (maybe that is why they didn't want to walk the 5 extra feet? It's all comeing together now...)

So Veronica and I waited for about an hour at the entrance for more of the booked talent to show... but KAtie was the only one. We did however get interviewed by this CRAZY lady for... something. I don't even know. She jsut came up to us with her camera guy and started asking us questions. We were like.... we're interns... but... alright. She had this creepy smile plastered on her face. I'm pretty sure that I will have nightmeres about it for years to come.

ANYHOO after about an hour we were told that we could stop waiting and enjoy the event. Matt Nathanson was fantastic. Like really. I loved him. We got way close to the stage too which was really neat. He was also really funny and would crack a bunch of jokes, he has kidna a Dane Cook humor.

The concert ended and a BUNCH of people left, but Veronica and I decided to stay and chill and whatnot. They had a bunch of art up so we looked around at that. One cool thing is there was this wall that they just put a bunch of blank canvases on and paint near, and anyone could jsut go and paint whatever they wanted.

We talked to a few people, and got hit on by these weird ass guys who insisted on getting us cookies. We tried hiding from them, but they found us. Thankfully they got the hint after a while though.

Then we hung out with some other interns/ staff from the LA film festival (including fucking Kevin who we talked to outside the event- he was checking other people in and took the pictures of us on the red carpet... he couldn't figure out my camer though. It was point and shoot!).

The party kinda got really lame around midnight so we left with the LA film festival people and went to this hooka bar. It was alright... personally I like the one in Iowa City better. This one was really loud and packed, where the red poppy is much more chill enviornment and you kinda get your own personal space. Some of the people ditched out early and didn't pay enough so those of us left got stuck paying a bit more (I threw in only a few extra bucks, I couldn't afford to do more). I really hate when people do that. It is SO crazy rude. That's why I always try to settle the bill before people leave.

But overall thye night was really good. A lot of people came up to me saying that they loved my dress and one girl told me that she liked my make-up. Hurray for ego boosts (to be honest it was nice... I tend to be very self concious so those comments were really nice).

Sunday I went to the beach with Sam. I haven't seen her in FOREVER so that was cool. We got hit on by this drunk guy at dinner. He was at the tabel next to us and would NOT get the hint that we didn't want to talk to him (despite ignoring him, giving him dirty looks, not acting interested in ANY way, refusing drink offers, and even inventing a fake boyfriend to try and get him off our backs). I was SO thankful when the check came and we left.

Being hit on by creepy 30 year olds is seeming to become the story of my life here. At the OLDEST I can pass for 23... why would they think I'd be interested? GROSS.

Note to guys (not that I know of guys that read this... or anyone else for that matter) if a girl is not interested and makes that clear to you (like we did to this guy): LEAVE HER ALONE!!!

Other than that though, it was a pretty good weekend.

In the office now... killing time.
(Ignore spelling errors and typos and this computer is not letting me do spell check).

No comments: